Thursday, June 17, 2010

Uncovering an older past.

Today there was a vast amount of progress in the last few days of week four.

Over at Block Two, Jared and Mike Carlock slowly uncovered the domestic feature. Two of the pieces were decorated and one was a rim sherd . We troweled the feature and got to use bamboo tools for very delicate work. We also used spoons to dig up the feature, which contained a vast amount of pottery. We also did a profile of the soil stratigraphy in the deepest part of the unit.

Four of the five of the groups troweled Block One for a photograph. Troweling can be a tedious task, especially with limited working space and lots of root disturbances in the way. It takes a lot of people to hold up a tarp for a shaded photo of a finished level of a unit.

The Block Three team made an amazing discovery. All the fire-cracked rocks in Block Three, could indicate an Archaic feature. Their was one Dalton point that found in each unit. Dalton points date back to 8000 to 9000 B.C.E.   In Block Three they have dug down one meter, and even though they hit clay they are still finding artifacts, which is unusual for this area. Clay is usually sterile (yielding no artifacts.)

Dalton Point
Burned rock feature

Today's Blog was written by Jared McLaughlin, with help from Adam Lane, Jamie Haener, and Shelby Richison.

No comments:

Post a Comment